The Guesthouse, with its numerous lounges and fireplaces, is comfortably furnished and has an elegant, old-fashioned feel, while maintaining that rustic farm house charm. The guesthouse has ten tastefully decorated en-suite bedrooms. Most bedrooms have their own lounge and some have cosy fireplaces.
The lounge, dining-room and enclosed veranda offer generous and comfortable spaces with stunning views of the Amphitheatre and Royal Natal National Park. It is said to be one of the best views in the Northern Drakensberg.
The tasty and wholesome food, cooked with passion and loved by the guests is sure to add to the experience. At Vergezient Guesthouse, dinner, breakfast, as well as morning and afternoon tea, are included in the price. And for those of you on day trips we make a lovely packed lunch.
The professionally laid out walks and day hikes on the farm are superb too, along with the simply spectacular views
A huge range of activities are available in the Northern Drakensberg region. Hiking, horse riding, viewing bushman rock art, meandering arts and crafts are just some of the activities that the Northern Drakensberg offers. The first four activities below are those that Vergezient Mountain Retreat likes to recommend as being the best.
Hikes and Walks:
There are a number of well set out walking and hiking trails which allow you to enjoy the varied landscape and flora of Vergezient. The trails vary in distance and difficulty and are well mapped and marked. For an easy stroll, walk up Heldersig with stunning views in all directions. This is ideal for seeing the sunrise or having a sundowner. Guided walks and hikes can be arranged.
A variety of species have been spotted, particularly at the lower levels of the farm. Raptors are a common sight
This is a serious business at Vergezient. So please prepare yourself to rest, relax and enjoy the ever-changing, spectacular view of the Drakensberg.
View the San art (or Bushman Paintings, as it is often referred to).This involves a fairly strenuous hike, but well worth it.
B&B and DB&B
An up market DB&B, is a special place for couples and families to spend quality time together. The Lodge has 10 individual rooms and is usually booked by individuals and families and offers a dinner, bed and breakfast rate.
- Upstairs, very large with a queen bed and one single bed and with its own comfortable lounge area. It is light, airy and has a wonderful view of the mountains, with windows on 2 sides. The en-suite bathroom has a shower, toilet and basin. R735pp per night sharing.
- Upstairs, small but with a beautiful view. It has an open-plan shower, a separate toilet and basin. A room with character. R520 per person per night sharing
- A lovely, large upstairs room with a comfortable lounge area. It has beautiful views, an open plan shower and basin and separate toilet. This room is very large and has a queen and 2 single beds in it. R655per person per night sharing.
- Upstairs, queen bed, fairly small, lovely view, open-plan shower and basin with a separate toilet. R500 per person per night sharing
- Downstairs, a very large, very comfortable room with a lounge area, balcony, an en-suite bathroom with a bath, double shower, toilet and basin. It has wonderful views, especially of sunrise and sunset. This room has a fireplace. R785 per person per night sharing.
- Downstairs, a very large, very nice comfortable room with a lounge area, balcony and a sunny conservatory. The en-suite bathroom has a bath double shower, toilet and basin. It has a wonderful view, especially of sunrise and sunset. This room has a fireplace. R840pp per night sharing.
- Downstairs, a medium sized room with a large, sunny conservatory and an en-suite shower, toilet and basin. R520 per person per night sharing.
- Downstairs, a large comfortable room with a queen bed and one single bed and a small sunny conservatory. The en-suite bathroom has a shower, toilet and basin. R575 per person per night sharing.
- Downstairs, outside entrance to small sunny conservatory, with 2 single beds and bathroom en suite with shower, toilet, hand basin. R510 per person per night sharing
- Downstairs, a large comfortable room with it's own lounge area. It has a queen bed and 2 singles. The room opens onto a verandah with a beautiful view of the mountains. It has direct access to the indoor pool area. R735 per person per night sharing.
The Zondertwyfel Barnhouse
Self catering group, B&B and DB&B
A superb venue for groups of 10 to 24 people - is either self catered or fully catered. It’s large function room is ideal for small conferences, weddings, family gatherings, events, holidays and retreats.
The Zonderntwyfel Barnhouse at Drakensberg Mountain Retreat offers much more than comfortable, affordable country style accommodation. It`s spectacular views, vast spaces, wild winds, superb walks and extraordinary silence, make it the perfect place to experience the beauty and magnificence of the Drakensberg. This is a place to relax, unwind, take stock, - a place to rejuvenate - a place to regain peace.
The comfortable Barnhouse is generously proportioned and a wood-burning stove in the open plan kitchen / dining room and fireplaces in the lounges ensures cosy comfort on even the coldest days. These, together with the large verandah, flower-filled conservatories, the indoor pool and a large function room, - all with incredible views - ensure you will have a comfortable and enjoyable stay, regardless of the vagaries of the weather.
The Barnhouse has 5 simple but pleasant en-suite bedrooms (sleeping 12 people), with single beds. (Double beds can be provided on request.) The bathrooms have a shower, toilet and hand basin. All bedrooms open onto a beautiful conservatory, so come rain, hail, snow or sunshine you are protected in the garden!
3 dormitory-type rooms that can accommodate up to 10 people, which allows for a group of up to 22 people to be accommodated here. The dormitory rooms use 2 separate ablutions with showers, toilets and basins.
CATERING OPTION AVAILABLE: Our chef provides tasty wholesome food and also caters for individual dietary needs. Dinner is a 3 course affair and is served “buffet” style. Our full farmhouse breakfast gets you going for the day. Morning and afternoon teas are included in the price. For those who wish to go on a day trip, we provide packed lunches.
Activities range from simply taking in the amazing views, reading around the fire, going for gentle walks, engaging in strenuous hikes or taking wonderful day trips into the surrounding area. Our professionally laid out walks and hikes have spectacular views. – For more details see our activities page.