The Memela or Trumpeter Hornbill has a sound like a baby crying. This is the name that we chose for our bush camp. Guests often ask us in the morning which birds woke them up. There are several that sounds like an alarm. The Memela is especially disturbing for new mothers because it they think there are a baby in distress somewhere. We think this will make good logo for our bush camp. We will be happy to take you around in a 4×4 vehicle and show you our paradise. It is an adventure holiday, for young and old, where we will be out all day on the beaches, snorkeling, canoe on rivers, SCUBA or snorkel from a boat in open ocean and going to Tembe, a big 5 game reserve..
More about the camp – Memela Bush Camp is a small intimate lodge or bush camp. We accommodate 10 people sharing in bush style chalets. Each huts have an on suite shower and bush toilet. We tried to preserve the bush experience. Solar panels provide enough lights at night. When essential a generator can supply a few hours of electricity per day.
We serve excellent home cooked meals (European breakfasts, lunches and dinners) served in the main house or a picnic lunch when on a day excursions / activities. We are an establishment managed by the owners. The region is very children friendly (we have two small children).
Information and Rates:
· Recommended Stay is 5 days in which you will have an astonishing variety of activities to do:
· Day 1 – Boat out to sea
· Day 2 – Boat on the lakes
· Day 3 – Canoe
· Day 4 – Horse riding
· Day 5 – Tembe Elephant Reserve. We supplement the primary activities for the day with cultural activities, beach trips, hiking and end most days with sundowners at our hippo pools.
Approx Rates Offered (Subject to change – ask us for a quote and custom packages):
· Fully Catered R500 per person EXCLUDING activities.
· Fully Catered 3 meals a day & INCLUDING activities R850 per person
· (Children 12 and below is half price)
Activities that we provide:
· Beach Trips to Black Rock, Rocktail Bay, Lala Nek and Bhanga Nek
· Turtle Tours – Come and see the giant sea turtles lay their eggs on our beaches. Unforgettable!
· Go for a game drive in Tembe Elephant Park
· Go out with a boat to sea and experience the ocean – look for dolphins, whale-watching (in season) and snorkel on reefs
· SCUBA in 80km of secluded Marine Protected Area (MPA) between Ponta and Sodwana with pristine reefs.
· Cultural Activities (visit to local Tonga and Zulu houses, schools and churches)
· Explore the Kosi Lakes and its hippos by boat, stop for a sundowner and swim in aqua-blue clear calm water.
· Guided Hikes – Walk with our guides and experience bush, savanna, forest and beaches – long hikes or short walks.
· Canoe on the Siyadla River leading into the lakes surrounded by raffia palms and tropical forest.