10km FROM Glencoe
20km from Dundee
7 km from Wasbank village
Possibly the best self catering farm stay in the South African Kwa Zulu Natal Battlefields, Wasbank farm is set in the heart of the Battlefields where accommodation is offered in the historical farm house, Manor House.
Set in a park like garden, the Manor House is a spacious and comfortable homestead where up to four families can, with ease be accommodated or with Goose Cottage additional. You can do the day trail on the Izemfene trail which meanders up to the mountain farm and offers spectacular views of the area – on a clear day one can see the Drakensberg range and deep into Zululand, the trail is full of historical areas.
The bird-life is exceptional as the farm has both sweet and sour veld with indigenous trees in abundance. More than 158 species have been identified - list available in information file. Game is plentiful as impala, kudu, duiker, steenbuck, mountain reedbuck have found sanctuary here. Two well marked hiking trails. One is 4 Km past the old home, bamboo plantation and meanders along the river. A 12km trail will take one to the top farm, Izemfene, meandering up a while along the Manzimyama stream.
On the farm the visitor can also visit the old coal mine, and the coal washing and sorting plant, an interesting concrete structure which was abandoned due to the presence of methane gas.
There are two units which are set in a park like garden. Manor House is spacious, comfortable and can accommodate up to four families with ease. There are five bedrooms and a 4 bed dormitory with two bathrooms while most bedrooms have basins. The lounge and dining room are very spacious and can be used for informal conferences as well. In the garden is one rondavel under thatch. There is a double bed, en suite with bathroom basin and toilet and it has electricity.
- Full bed and bath linen;
- 5 bedrooms in house;
- 1 double bed;
- 3 rooms have twin beds;
- Main bedroom has three ¾ beds;
- 2 Cots;
- One bathroom has shower, bath toilet and basin, Separate shower. Separate toilet;
- Other bathroom has bath and basin;
- Dormitory has 4 single beds;
- In sunroom pull out bed/couch;
- Most bedrooms have basins.
- 2 fridges;
- 2 freezer;
- 2 stoves;
- Cutlery and crockery;
- Electric pan;
- Potjie for potjiekos.
- Braai facilities and wood are provided. Bring own charcoal;
- Kitchen and bathrooms serviced by Phindile;
- Lovely walks down in the bush veld or to the top farm Izemfene. Cool off in the mountain stream. Limited fishing is possible in Wasbank ( Bushi) river;
- The lounge and dining room are very spacious, each with a fireplace. Pub in lounge;
- Volley ball net. Table tennis bring own bats/balls;
- Bring own food and beverages;
- One rondavel under thatch in garden with a double bed en suite with bath basin and toilet;
- Please supply own toilet paper, soap for laundry and dishwashing liquid. Bring torches/ extra candles, matches;
- Swim in mountain stream in pools up stream from bridge;
- The farm is pet friendly – however many farmyard animals; chickens, ducks and geese are free range in the garden;
- Bring own mountain bikes to cycle on farm and nearby district farm roads.
Important information for Manor House:
Gate at Main road:
- The gate at the road is locked with a padlock. It will be on the key bunch that you will be given. Please lock it or hook it, but do keep the gate closed for your own convenience.
Sliding electric gate:
- The blue remote activates this gate. Press the top left button. Inside the house, inside the main bedroom and at the lounge/kitchen door are also gate telephones.
IT IS IMPORTANT THAT YOU RETURN THE KEY BUNCH AND REMOTE TO PHINDILE BEFORE YOU DEPART.
Alternatively, in the event that Phindile is not there when you depart, you can open the electric gate from the house, lock the house and leave the key and remote under the kitchen mat, but please ensure that the bottom gate is closed. She will come in to close the electric sliding gate etc.
Entrance Gate GPS Coordinates:
- 28degrees 15’ 30.50”S