Between Bethlehem and Fouriesburg in the Eastern Free State. Approximately 45 km form Bethlehem, 310 km from Johannesburg and 280 km from Bloemfontein.
- Accommodate 26 hikers
- 2 rooms
- 1 room with 10 beds
- 1 room with 16 beds
- Microwave oven
- Hot showers
- Flush toilets
- Rustic log beds with mattresses
- Iron pot
- Braai facilities with wood
- “Long drop” with spectacular view
- Part of hikers building but separated with door – private
- Accommodates 4 people
- Own bathroom
- Shared kitchen facilities with hikers camp
- Accommodates 2 people
- Fully equipped for self catering
- Linen included
The name says it all. On this overnight trail a wide variety, of up to 17 game species and various bird life roaming the immaculate fields and mountains at Bergdeel Private Nature reserve, welcomes you. Nestled in the heart of the Witteberge with its dense bushes and mountain streams, this is a trail that will revitalize your soul. On the first day (12 km) the trail starts off with a beautiful wood bridge under a sandstone cliff and then passes the rare Bald Ibis’s breeding spot. You then enter into “Stinkhout Kloof” completely surrounded by White-stinkwood trees where the trail leads to “Marriage Corner", a romantic resting place. Further on, Caracals ladder takes you up to Angel’s Height, God’s little finger and the Bushmen’s Baths. At midday the hiker can cool off at the Mermaids pools, a highlight to look forward to.
The day ends off in Bushmen’s Cave where the ancient Bushmen’s presence can be felt and the turmoil of city life is forgotten. Water is available in rainy season, but take enough water along. The second day (4.5 km) takes you deeper into the reserve with lots of surprises installed for you. A visit is an absolute must and an experience that cannot easily be matched.
- Wood available
- You only need your own bedding, cutlery, food and toiletries
- Bags are free to be taken near the cave. If you would like bags to be taken in cave costs involved is R10.00 per bag
- Bergdeel Wild offers special weekends where events like Sunset Game drives, abseiling, and candle light dinners in the cave and many more can be included in the program. Abseiling, minimum of 10 persons. Rate on request – subject to availability of facilitator.
- Candle light dinners in the cave, R80 per person and a minimum of 10 persons. Bookings a month ahead!
- There is also a farm stall with meat and vegetables in season.
- A lapa with braai facilities.